October 25, 2016
Making homemade play dough is a fun activity that can be done year- round! Rain or shine, hot or cold, kids love making and playing with play dough!
As a former preschool teacher, I’ve tried my hand at plenty of homemade play dough recipes, and the one I am sharing with you is the one that put all the rest to shame. This really is the best play dough recipe ever! It is so soft and easy to mold, not to mention WAY cheaper than the store-bought varieties! Here is how to make it:
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tbsp of any vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 2 tbsp of cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups of boiling water
- food coloring, optional*
- gloves, optional if you don’t want to stain your hands!
* For the brightest, prettiest color playdough, we like to use gel food coloring instead of the regular drops. You could also use Kool-Aid drink mix to color your playdough, which makes it smell delicious!
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and cream of tarter.
- Add the oil and mix it well.
- Add the boiling water and stir until well combined and the dough is formed.
- Let the dough cool completely.
- Roll your dough into smaller balls – 1 ball for each color you plan to use – and place each ball into a separate bowl.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the top of each ball of dough, then knead the dough until well combined.
Play and Enjoy!